This old laid back town is situated on the naked granite rock coast of the Namib Desert.

Full of character one will find the atmosphere truly German and the locals are very friendly and helpful people. The people here rely mainly on fishing and tourism for their existence. Luderitz was the first German settlement in what was to become German South West Africa, and charming colorful buildings have been maintained German colonial style.

When to go

Open all the year round and cool in summer due to the cooling effects of the Benguela current and coastal winds.

The weather conditions are harsh since the village is exposed to the Atlantic winds as well as sea fogs and sand storms, and the cold Benguela Current make the sea too cold to be a "beach holiday" destination. Luderitz, nonetheless, has a lot to offer to visitors.
Luderitz - In 1908 there was a real diamond rush in this area and Kolmanskop was the decadent (German spoken) diamond centre of Namibia. In 1943 better mines were discovered in the south. All what is left now, is a spooky ghost town which is very nice for taking pictures though


  • The "Felsenkirche" is a Lutheran Evangelical Church and is situated on Diamond Mountain overlooking the town.

  • The Luderitz Museum in Diaz Street presents the history of the town, the local indigenous people, and the diamond mines.

  • Other buildings are Goerkehaus, a uniquely characterized house on the slopes of Diamond Mountain (built 1909),

  • The old Post Office, (1908), old Station Building (1914), and Turnhalle (1912).  

  • The harbor is busy with fishing boats coming and going, and the coastline around Luderitz is home to Jackass Penguins and a Cape Fur seal colony.

  • The Luderitz Peninsula provides a spectacular view of the town and harbor, and has many bays and secluded beaches, and a lagoon where flamingos and other birds can be seen.  

  • There is even a Floating Diamond Museum, an old diamond boat and conducted trips show you exhibitions of a diamond diving operation, oyster fishing and the fishing industry.

  • A monument of Adolf Luderitz, the German founder of this town, can be found on Shark Island, from where one also has an excellent view of the town. Diaz Point is south of Luderitz along the coast and is where a stone cross can be found commemorating Bartholomew Diaz's discovery of the area in 1487.